Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 02:00:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: Mechwarrior Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 132 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mechwarrior Online  (Read 1001051 times)
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #840 on: August 23, 2012, 08:56:32 PM

Well, they do give 'MechBux and months of premium membership.  The Legendary package is probably the weakest deal of the three considering, but still gives a little something extra.

Yeah, I went Legendary to support what they're doing but if you're really pinching pennies wait for Free play.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #841 on: August 24, 2012, 01:16:33 AM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #842 on: August 24, 2012, 01:32:54 AM

Well, they do give 'MechBux and months of premium membership.  The Legendary package is probably the weakest deal of the three considering, but still gives a little something extra.

Yeah, I get that, but it's not reallllly the draw there, is it ?  And I don't find the draw that compelling.

And, no, I don't think details of Mech Specs are actually public yet, considering they're not even private.

why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #843 on: August 24, 2012, 05:09:42 AM

And, no, I don't think details of Mech Specs are actually public yet, considering they're not even private.

why so serious?

Wut? 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #844 on: August 24, 2012, 05:39:20 AM

why so serious?

Wut? 

Mech specs are indeed private if you know where to look.   awesome, for real  But smart not to make them public as I'm sure they're probably not even slightly set-in-stone.
As for those people whining about Founders costs.  Hey, you had your chance with IGN to get into the beta for the price of an expensive latte.  Love/hate IGN who cares.  It's Battletech.  There's a beta.  Nuff said.  Cancel the sub. after you get in.

I didn't do Founders because they couldn't be arsed to come up with a solid revenue model before asking for my money; for an F2P game nonetheless.  Obviously the real cost of the game will be in repairing your Mech, but that realization is only apparent after much deliberation inside forums.  And then good luck figuring out how evil they'll be with the repair costs.  For all we know $1 could last a week for repairs for your average skill level pilot.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #845 on: August 24, 2012, 06:25:14 AM

It was a serious inquiry not a snarky talking-down.  Heart  I don't know how much of the info about them is public.
I don't either.  And since I did buy the Founder's pack, I'm erring on the side of caution.

The models conform to actual designations, so they can be looked up for a stock configuration, but I simply can't go into any more detail than that.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #846 on: August 24, 2012, 06:28:35 AM

I didn't do Founders because they couldn't be arsed to come up with a solid revenue model before asking for my money; for an F2P game nonetheless.  Obviously the real cost of the game will be in repairing your Mech, but that realization is only apparent after much deliberation inside forums.  And then good luck figuring out how evil they'll be with the repair costs.  For all we know $1 could last a week for repairs for your average skill level pilot.
That's... interesting... speculation on your part.  I would wager there are several ways to encourage transactions.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #847 on: August 24, 2012, 06:35:39 AM

If they link repair costs to the Cash funds they'll kill the game.  Simple as that.  If I had to pay gold to repair my tank in WOT I simply wouldn't play the game.

They have other ways to inecntivize the RMT transactions they'll need to maintain and expand the game.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #848 on: August 24, 2012, 07:54:30 AM

The WoT model should work for them fairly well, charge gold for enhanced credit and xp gain, sell premium mechs that earn in game cash at a better rate, charge gold for special paint jobs and other cosmetic things and charge for more slots in the mech barn or whatever it's called.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #849 on: August 24, 2012, 08:55:53 AM

The founder mechs are just stock versions of the Jenner, Hunchback, Catapult, and Atlas.  Exact same loadout as the wargame mechs.  So it's not like their stats are NDA
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #850 on: August 24, 2012, 09:17:19 AM

4 maps on open beta or live? Or is it the same thing? They must be hard up for cash if all they can manage is 4 maps.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #851 on: August 24, 2012, 09:47:59 AM

4 maps on open beta or live? Or is it the same thing? They must be hard up for cash if all they can manage is 4 maps.

Look at the maps in the gameplay vids.  They're handcrafting too much of them and putting way too much detail in to the terrain instead of realizing they're just backdrops.  Nobody's going to ooh and ahh over the generic building they're hiding behind to avoid those PPC shots.

The WOT maps are fairly easy to crank out as they seem more procedural and don't stick all these set pieces in the way.  It's probably also why the WOT maps can have destructible terrain and the MWO maps don't.. nary a single tree is ever felled by a walking mech or a hail of missiles.

The founder mechs are just stock versions of the Jenner, Hunchback, Catapult, and Atlas.  Exact same loadout as the wargame mechs.  So it's not like their stats are NDA

Right then:  As far as founders mechs go then; I can see owning all of them via Legendary because the mechs are pretty flexible. Hunchback comes with an AC20 and med lasers but 3 ballistic hardpoints.  Easy enough to drop the monster cannon for some smaller variants.  While you're stuck with an initial loadout until you earn credits that's no different than WOT; the question is just how long it'll take grinding to get the parts for the loadout you want.  The credit boost is a bonus to me.

The Catapult would be the only one I'd be disappointed with since you're getting stock missiles vs energy weapons. But it's got 4 energy hardpoints so you can swap in some harder-hitting stuff instead of the missile launchers and just fill the ears with heatsinks I suppose.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #852 on: August 24, 2012, 10:59:09 AM

That's... interesting... speculation on your part.  I would wager there are several ways to encourage transactions.

It's just logic, not speculation.  We know there's damage.  And we know it will likely cost c-bills to repair it.  C-bills are linked however indirectly to RMT, therefore damage can cost you money depending on how much and how well you play.  The rate at which non-premiums gain c-bills is also a factor.  Both of these mechanics are what will truly drive their revenue, not what color camo you decide to put on your Awesome.

They cant restrict hangar size dependent on RMT because if you've bought into various mechs and loadouts they cant just up and take those away because your hangar aint big enough.  So that theory is out.

Look at the maps in the gameplay vids.  They're handcrafting too much of them and putting way too much detail in to the terrain instead of realizing they're just backdrops.  Nobody's going to ooh and ahh over the generic building they're hiding behind to avoid those PPC shots.

Have you ever played around with Cryengine3?  Those maps aren't hard to bake out of that toolset trust me.   If I had to guess they're just spending the majority of their time on other things.  Maybe testing too much internally?  Dunno.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #853 on: August 24, 2012, 11:21:04 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #854 on: August 24, 2012, 12:12:33 PM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Cmon 'wood.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #855 on: August 24, 2012, 12:50:01 PM

Seriously I expected way more respect for the NDA than is being displayed here.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #856 on: August 24, 2012, 01:31:52 PM

Eh Huh

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #857 on: August 24, 2012, 01:40:08 PM

As someone who is interested in MWO and who is not in the beta, I feel that I have not learned anything at all about this game from the last few posts.  The NDA is looking pretty solid from this angle.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #858 on: August 24, 2012, 03:27:04 PM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #859 on: August 25, 2012, 12:54:59 AM

Christ, that's impressive stuff.  These chaps take it seriously, eh ?

I remember when my battlemaster was a small block on top of a large block with 4 other blocks.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #860 on: August 25, 2012, 03:23:36 AM

Yeah, lots of the original BTech art was, to be frank, terrible.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #861 on: August 25, 2012, 03:59:40 AM

Have I mentioned HOW MUCH I want to drive a Trebuchet after seeing the new look ?  Only once per page, I think, but it really bears repeating.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #862 on: August 25, 2012, 09:43:00 AM

Did something get moderated that I missed?  Nothing but mwomercs available info. being debated presently.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #863 on: August 25, 2012, 09:52:04 AM

They cant restrict hangar size dependent on RMT because if you've bought into various mechs and loadouts they cant just up and take those away because your hangar aint big enough.  So that theory is out.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #864 on: August 25, 2012, 11:02:26 AM

I am curious about their payment model though.  They've stated it won't be pay2win but the WoT model is probably significantly less profitable without the pay2win parts.  Having less mechs also means less reason to be premium for XP (assuming they even require you to unlock mechs with xp).

Either way you can probably use the credits to continue to buy monthly premium like WoT.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #865 on: August 25, 2012, 11:08:47 AM

Even WOT isn't pay-to-win.  The Pre

Did something get moderated that I missed?  Nothing but mwomercs available info. being debated presently.
miums are pumped on some level but are still mortal and all have their own weaknesses or hold-backs. 

Nope. No idea what he was talking about.

Thanks for posting that, Sheepherder.   Plus, Ghambit, they never take anything away from you. It's your choice: sell a mech/tank because you want a new one and have no more space or buy a garage slot.  Your call, not theirs.

I am curious about their payment model though.  They've stated it won't be pay2win but the WoT model is probably significantly less profitable without the pay2win parts.  Having less mechs also means less reason to be premium for XP (assuming they even require you to unlock mechs with xp).

Either way you can probably use the credits to continue to buy monthly premium like WoT.

What Pay-to-win parts of WOT? The Premium tanks?  They're not killing machines, they pop like any other tank and have flaws of their own to make up for whatever piece was pumped. They've gotten much better about balancing them over the last 6 months or so.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #866 on: August 25, 2012, 11:12:36 AM

So that hangar is a one-time purchase and never goes away?  I can see that working certainly.  Some microtrans games of course charge extra (on a weekly basis) for big "warehouses" and so forth and in the end if you mismanage your inventory and dont pay for the space you lose your stuff.  They could possibly do that with MWO but they'd have keep your mech history intact I suppose so once you bought back in you'd have access to the same inventory you had beforehand.  Probably tough to code, but definitely more profitable than the one-time purchase.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #867 on: August 25, 2012, 09:49:05 PM

They could possibly do that with MWO but they'd have keep your mech history intact I suppose so once you bought back in you'd have access to the same inventory you had beforehand.  Probably tough to code, but definitely more profitable than the one-time purchase.

It wouldn't be tough to do at all.  Just code it to lock X mechs.  I can't see why they wouldn't follow the WoT model though.  The only games that really do it the other way were subscription games first.   
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #868 on: August 25, 2012, 10:45:29 PM

Not tough at all.  It's either a linked list or an array pointing to a data class which represents a vehicle, including your customizations.  Either way, basic OO principles.

EDIT: Yes, (in WoT) buy a slot, it's yours, forever.  Wargaming are actually the cool sort of geeks.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:49:29 PM by Sheepherder »
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #869 on: August 26, 2012, 12:18:39 PM

Not tough at all.  It's either a linked list or an array pointing to a data class which represents a vehicle, including your customizations.  Either way, basic OO principles.

EDIT: Yes, (in WoT) buy a slot, it's yours, forever.  Wargaming are actually the cool sort of geeks.

I think since WoT went live I've bought something like 3 extra slots directly with the rest (currently 30ish) coming from various giveaways and tree splits.  I'm guessing that a fairly large chunk of cash comes from people converting the xp earned by elite tanks to 'free' xp in order to rush into higher tier or new tanks.  If MWO has enough depth they should be able to tap the same sort of mechanic.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #870 on: August 26, 2012, 03:39:09 PM

I know nothing about Mechwarrior in any of its incarnations.  The videos make this look like TF2 with robots, except everyone moves at heavy or soldier speed and the time to kill is like 15 seconds of solid point-blank blasting.  I am probably missing the strategic depth somehow.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #871 on: August 26, 2012, 05:55:16 PM

I don't get it either, since this really looks like another lobby-based online shooter, just with mechs.

But: mechs.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #872 on: August 26, 2012, 07:44:17 PM

I know nothing about Mechwarrior in any of its incarnations.  The videos make this look like TF2 with robots, except everyone moves at heavy or soldier speed and the time to kill is like 15 seconds of solid point-blank blasting.  I am probably missing the strategic depth somehow.

You are.
The beauty of this type of gameplay is that it's slow enough to actually be tactical w/o being frenetic.   This imparts meaningful choice both in-game and before-game that you wouldn't see in a pure twitch.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #873 on: August 26, 2012, 08:38:02 PM

Yeah, you don't move very fast and you don't shoot very often, so you really have to think ahead.  Not that you don't have to be fast and accurate as well, just that there's a more measured form of situational awareness you have to cultivate, you can't blow your way out of a mistake with twitch skills.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #874 on: August 27, 2012, 03:39:25 AM

Also, as opposed for example to the mentioned Team Fortress or any other "lobby based shooter" the fundamental characteristic of any Battletech/Mechwarrior game is that you have multiple weapons to shoot with that cover different roles based on distance and/or other factors, and (here lies the meaningful layer of depth) you can't shoot them at will due to overheating. So you are forced to make choices, both in the building of your mech and in the actual realtime fighting.

So yeah, those videos are only meant to tease people with exploding mechs, but there's much much more than that. Even more so with the announced Community Warfare.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 132 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: Mechwarrior Online  
Jump to: