Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 05:39:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Batman: Arkham Asylum 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Batman: Arkham Asylum  (Read 76780 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: August 08, 2009, 02:01:09 AM

reading random files, opening drawers, etc.

If I was Batman, this is what I'd do.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #36 on: August 08, 2009, 02:18:23 AM

I'm torn between the overpriced collector's edition (au$150) for the Batrang and leatherbound book, or just holding out for the regular edition which someone will have for au$78.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 08, 2009, 02:18:43 AM

I can't even come close to telling if that is sarcasm.  

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: August 09, 2009, 07:56:49 PM

Demo up on Steam too. Very fun. Wish the demo wasn't a full month before release. Want now. The trailer at the end of the demo is movie trailer quality in my non-expert opinion (though there's a big flow-breaking bit in the middle). And with all the fun you can have just with the few moves in this demo, the trailer shows a lot more possibilities.

2gb is pretty big for the amount of game play there is here, but it's worth it for the textures.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 09, 2009, 08:08:00 PM

I definitely dug the demo and will possibly buy the game on PC.  I dont mind the railroadeyness apparent in these types of games if the entertainment value is there, which from what I could see definitely is.  Plays like you're in a movie.  Definitely feels like '09-'10 will be the year of cinematic-style gameplay.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 10, 2009, 01:59:12 AM

I kept replaying the demo to try to get all five guys in the big room at the end on inverted takedowns.  So far, four is my record  Ohhhhh, I see.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 10, 2009, 03:21:26 AM

I purposely didn't talk about this game in my E3 roundup because I didn't want people to think I was schilling for it. It had a massive presence at E3 (probably the biggest presence of the entire show) and most of the demo stations were occupied. I played it and I thought it was fun which says a lot given that I have little interest in the genre. It definitely doesn't reek of movie-game cash-in. It's also doing some interesting things, like the special vision and the way Batman deals with fighting multiple enemies.

Still there's no way it can touch Batman for the NES.  awesome, for real

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #42 on: August 10, 2009, 02:02:14 PM

Very much fun demo.  Do want.  

I hope there is some exploration content, though, and its not all strictly on rails.  Also, I wish there was a bit more environmental interaction- reading random files, opening drawers, etc.  Still, do want.  

I loved the demo, though I had to upgrade my video drivers to get it to run right. Man is it gorgeous, and it actually does play a bit like Bioshock with Batman skins. I'm not sure how on rails it is - the demo made me think there'd be a good bit of scripting events, but that within an area there isn't one set of tactics and one set only that will work.

EDIT: Also, it definitely can't be considered a movie tie-in game, because it bears little resemblance to the movies. They are using most of the voices from the Animated Series (including Kevin Conroy!) and the look is most definitely neither the cartoon or the movie.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 02:04:40 PM by HaemishM »

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 11, 2009, 06:42:59 PM

I get the rails from how you're moved through a linear story in a quite controlled fashion; however, they seem quite happy to let you perform objectives however the heck you feel like it. They'll lead you to the water but you can drink however you want sorta thing. But we haven't seen any boss fights much less played more than about 30 minutes of content.

I kept replaying the demo to try to get all five guys in the big room at the end on inverted takedowns.  So far, four is my record  Ohhhhh, I see.

How do you perform an inverted takedown? Hang upside down and ctrl-leftmouse? I now have a reason to try the demo again smiley
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 11, 2009, 07:36:59 PM

Maybe there are other ways, but all I did was sit on a gargoyle normally and wait for them to walk under (the guy at the far middle side of the room starts under a gargoyle and doesn't move if you don't kill someone else first in a loud way).  Then, right mouse click when the "inverted takedown" icon pops up.

EDIT:  For the guys who are walking you have to be quick, the icon will only be up for a second or so. 

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: August 12, 2009, 07:26:31 PM

Son of a gun. I thought the demo restricted players only to things it specifically showed you how to do.
Maybe I missed that demo? smiley
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 12, 2009, 09:11:43 PM

This game is pure sex.  All the little details blew me away.  I expected the goons in the pacification ward to just wander around, I didn't expect to hear them bitching about how the Joker's sitting safe in some room somewhere while they're trying to hunt down Batman.  Then there's the other little details like when I hung a guy from a gargoyle his buddies would just start shooting at the top of the gargoyle (although I'd already grappled to another location).  I've never seen a game where the bad guys perform reconnaissance by fire.  Damned impressive.

Preordered.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #47 on: August 12, 2009, 09:22:21 PM

Sounds like Batman as done by Bethsoft.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #48 on: August 13, 2009, 09:02:34 AM

Sounds like Batman done by someone familiar with Batman. You know, Detective Comics.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 13, 2009, 11:50:42 AM

Edit: Ok played the demo of this and it's fan-fucking-tastic. The combat really does feel awesome and it actually seems like a case of successfully translating a console game to the PC. I just hope I can reassign control keys in the full game.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 06:53:54 PM by NowhereMan »

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 13, 2009, 07:44:45 PM

Maybe there are other ways, but all I did was sit on a gargoyle normally and wait for them to walk under (the guy at the far middle side of the room starts under a gargoyle and doesn't move if you don't kill someone else first in a loud way).  Then, right mouse click when the "inverted takedown" icon pops up.

EDIT:  For the guys who are walking you have to be quick, the icon will only be up for a second or so. 

While I'm sure most people have figured it out, taking all of them out with inverted takedowns is made much easier by cutting down thugs you've already done that too by bataranging the rope holding them. I hope the actual game has a good balance of stealthy bits fighting armed thugs and nice fisticuff violence, the easy counters mean combat's pretty easy but it actually does feel like Batman the master martial artist fighting. Wonderfully cinematic.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 13, 2009, 08:56:40 PM

Freaking awesome.  Torn between buying for the PC or PS3.  Or actually just buying it for the PC and putting my 360/PC controller to good use.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #52 on: August 13, 2009, 09:11:34 PM

Sounds like Batman done by someone familiar with Batman. You know, Detective Comics.

Yes, I am familiar with the comics. However, the detective thing isn't the key idea that attracts most to Batman.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #53 on: August 14, 2009, 08:39:34 AM

Why would he need to look through files? He's trapped in Arkham Asylum with joker. There's no mystery.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: August 14, 2009, 08:48:14 AM

However, the detective thing isn't the key idea that attracts most to Batman.
Well, yes, pandering to the LCD is always best.

NiX, you could still add a ton of lore Irrational-style, recordings of the Riddler, interviews with Quinn, etc.

Anyway, grabbed the demo last night. The over-the-shoulder view gets in the way at times, but it controls pretty well. I preferred the 360 controller on the pc.

This title just made the must-buy list.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #55 on: August 14, 2009, 03:14:18 PM

Looks like you're part of the LCD, too!  why so serious?

Gonna see if this is up for XBL demoing on silver now.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 14, 2009, 05:57:55 PM

NiX, you could still add a ton of lore Irrational-style, recordings of the Riddler, interviews with Quinn, etc.

That's what they're doing.  Did any of you guys go into the different character's files?  There were two Joker psych interviews in there.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #57 on: August 14, 2009, 11:09:27 PM

ROFL

ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: August 14, 2009, 11:51:06 PM

I was happy to see Riddler question marks on a wall but I can't get Jim Carrey out of my head.  Boo.  Edit:  I liked the other guy better from the TV show, which may not be saying much.

And the "Batman:  World's Greatest Detective" pic in this thread made me laugh pretty hard.  I just laughed again.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:55:11 PM by ffc »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: August 15, 2009, 02:52:18 PM

The original tv joker was brilliant, he always seemed like a true psychopath.

When I was telling my fiancee about this, she asked if I had to dispose of a bomb, only to be thwarted by nuns and ducks. I've totally gotten her into referencing awful movies (the batman movie with the original tv cast).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoUpF7rvfnk
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #60 on: August 15, 2009, 04:00:42 PM

So, is there any chocolate ice cream in this game?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #61 on: August 17, 2009, 02:20:01 PM

Why the hell does Batman look like a WWE wrestler?  I much prefer TDK movie Batman.  Hell, I think I'd rather play as Adam West in tights.

Batman should not smell of meat and steroids. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 17, 2009, 02:42:28 PM

Ok, Joker....it's just me, and you, and the red white and blue.....SO WHAT YOU GONNA DO, BROTHER!!

Ok, so I haven't seen wrestling since 1983.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #63 on: August 17, 2009, 02:45:47 PM

You and Nebu need to have a Daily Show style "Coot Off".

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: August 17, 2009, 02:56:49 PM

WOuld we be playing bass guitar in anime cosplay with some full-frontal nudity?  Rock on! Get off my lawn! Cthulu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #65 on: August 18, 2009, 12:03:53 PM

That would be a cock-off.

Also, EWWWWW.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: August 18, 2009, 12:11:44 PM

Sorry, I've never had a coot-off before. I do get my coot on, though.

Also, my fiancee feels I would win the coot-off.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 18, 2009, 01:52:40 PM

Canadian Walmart price on release $38.83

PS3 version
360 version
Going to try to PM at BestBuy/FS on launch  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: August 18, 2009, 02:54:34 PM

Also, my fiancee feels I would win the coot-off.

Pretty sure the fact that you even have a fiance means you lose by default.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 18, 2009, 09:10:12 PM

GALDERNIT
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Batman: Arkham Asylum  
Jump to: